I’ve been making Ham Pecan Pinwheels for many years now, especially for holiday gatherings and tea parties. Roll sliced ham in a delicious spread of cream cheese, pecans, minced onion, and olives. They are so yummy, you’ll want to eat more than one.
Tag: Black Olives
I worked long and hard on this Classic Italian Stromboli to get it “just” right. I’m happy to report that this one pleased our family perfectly.
It’s so delicious! Tender, sweet crust. Creamy herb and garlic sauce. Cheese. Pepperoni. Canadian Bacon. More Cheese. So Yummy!
Ingredients for Classic Stromboli
For the Dough:
- all-purpose flour
- instant yeast
- olive oil
For the Filling:
- real mayonnaise
- Creamy Italian Dressing
- minced garlic (I used the kind in the jar for this recipe)
- Italian seasoning
- onion, minced
- green pepper, finely chopped
- black olives, sliced
- Canadian bacon or ham
- provolone cheese, sliced
- Swiss cheese, sliced
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- large egg
- Parmesan cheese
- dried parsley
Making the Dough
You’ll want to begin by making the dough. This is easy if you use a mixer with a kneading hook. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add in the warm water and olive oil. Mix well. Knead by machine or by hand on a floured surface for 5-7 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes. Punch down dough and roll into 12×15″ rectangle.
Assembling the Stromboli
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dressing, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Spread mixture down center of dough, about 4″ wide.
Sprinkle with onion, peppers, and black olives. Layer over that the Canadian bacon and pepperoni. Then top with sliced of cheese. Lots of Cheese!
Gently fold sides of dough up and over to lap, with one side overlapping the other. Pinch seams together and fold ends of dough to seal.
Place a sheet of parchment paper beside the Stromboli and carefully turn it over so the seam is on the bottom and the Stromboli is centered on the parchment paper.
Using kitchen shears or a knife, slice the top a few times to make breathing holes. Brush the top with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan and dried parsley.
Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. This recipe serves 4-6.
I hope you will enjoy Classic Italian Stromboli as much as we do!
See more Italian Recipes Here.
Classic Italian Stromboli
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Creamy Italian Dressing
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 1/2 cup green pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 6 oz. Canadian bacon or ham
- 6 oz. pepperoni
- 4 oz. provolone cheese sliced
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese sliced
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt. Add water and olive oil, stirring to mix well. Knead by machine with dough hook or by hand on a floured surface for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and place in large greased bowl. Cover, and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dressing, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Slice cheese and Canadian Bacon, if desired.
- When dough has risen, gently punch down dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into 12" x 15" rectangle.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture down center of dough, about 4" wide. Sprinkle with onion, peppers, and black olives. Layer Canadian bacon and pepperoni, and then top with cheese slices. Gently fold sides of dough up and over to lap one side over the other. Pinch seams together and fold ends of dough to seal.
- Laying a piece of parchment paper next to the Stromboli, carefully turn over so seam is on the bottom, and now setting directly on the parchment paper.
- Using a knife or kitchen scissors, slice breathing holes on the top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serves 4-6.
PIN TO A FAVORITE BOARD!