Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a perfect ending to a summer dinner.
I love that I can bake this cake in my cast iron skillet. That’s what I love about cast iron. You can go from stove top to oven in an instant. And this recipe is such a show-stopper! It really is quite beautiful.
What You’ll Need to Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Lets talk about butter for a minute. I use salted–I know many cooks and chefs disagree with this decision, but it’s what I use on our table, so it’s what I keep in stock–in my freezer. When butter goes on sale, I buy it up by the truckload. Or carload. Or armload. Usually there is a 2 carton limit. So, I go to the store repeatedly. And bring my husband with me, so he can buy some, too. I guess you could say we’re butter hoarders.
- brown sugar
- canned pineapple rings (reserve the liquid for the cake below)
- Maraschino cherries
- pecan halves
And for the cake:
- vegetable shortening
- pineapple juice (reserved)
- 2 eggs
- vanilla extract (the real kind)
- cake flour
- baking powder
- whole milk
You’ll start by making the “top” part of the dessert–which begins on the bottom.
Get out your large cast iron skillet. I believe mine is 12-inches. Melt the butter over medium-high heat and stir in the brown sugar. It’s fun to arrange the pineapple and cherries in the buttery sauce. Then add your pecan halves.
Then whip up the batter, (which uses the reserved pineapple juice, so the cake, too, has pineapple flavor). Pour the batter over the pineapple slices and bake.
When it’s done, bring your skillet out and after it’s cooled for 7-10 minutes, invert the skillet onto a LARGE serving platter and out comes this lovely dessert. Beautiful. And so delicious.
Sweet, buttery, tender, saucy pineapple. So yummy!
Plan on making Pineapple Upside Down Cake for your next summer dinner party. Your guests will love you for it!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 20 oz. pineapple ring slices reserve juice
- 18 whole Maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add brown sugar and stir until combined. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries on top of sugar mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, shortening, and butter. Add eggs and vanilla.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour batter over pineapple slices. Bake for 40-45 minutes until cake tests done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Scrape sides of pan with knife, then, invert cake onto a serving plate. Serves 8-10
PIN TO A FAVORITE BOARD