Mixed Vegetable Salad
Try this Mixed Vegetable Salad when you’re looking for a cold dish to serve with dinner. It’s a nice variation on 3-Bean Salad.
When summer arrives, I want quick and easy foods to prepare. Foods that won’t heat up my kitchen. Cold foods to go with grilled chicken, pork, or steak.
This recipe fits the bill perfectly. The sweet vinegar sauce goes well with barbecue or grilled foods. And it adds bright color to your table and plate. Which is always nice. It also works well for picnics or potlucks as you don’t need to worry as much about keeping it cold as you do for potato salad or other salads with cream or mayonnaise.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mixed Vegetable Salad
- frozen mixed vegetables
- canned kidney beans
- sweet onion
- granulated sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare your ingredients. Drain the kidney beans. Using a sharp knife and cutting board, mince the sweet onion.
Place the frozen mixed vegetables in a medium glass bowl and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender. Stir in the drained kidney beans and minced sweet onion.
Preparing the Vinegar Dressing
In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar and cornstarch to a boil, whisking constantly until thickened.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then pour over the mixed vegetables. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
For optimum flavor, be sure to allow 2-4 hours for this salad to chill in the refrigerator to allow the sauce to seep into the vegetables and beans.
This salad recipe will serve 4-6 people.
Serve Mixed Vegetable Salad with Honey Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs or Slow-Cooked Country Style Ribs.
See more Salad Ideas Here. Browse Picnic Recipe Ideas Here.
- 10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
- 15 oz. kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place mixed vegetables in a medium glass bowl and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender. Stir in kidney beans and onion.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar, vinegar and cornstarch to a boil, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and pour over vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Serves 4-6.