This past year, we’ve been making this Easy Breakfast Ambrosia recipe when we have weekend company. It’s so simple to put together and just the right amount of yogurt and fruit to go with muffins, a breakfast casserole, or French toast. Even my husband eats …
Tag: Maraschino Cherries
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a perfect ending to a summer or fall dinner.
I love that I can bake this cake in my cast iron skillet. That’s what I love about cast iron. You can go from stove top to oven in an instant. And this recipe is such a show-stopper! It really is quite beautiful.
What You’ll Need for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
For the Topping
- brown sugar
- canned pineapple rings (reserve the liquid for the cake below)
- Maraschino cherries
- pecan halves
For the Cake
- granulated sugar
- vegetable shortening
- pineapple juice (reserved)
- large eggs (2 of them)
- vanilla extract (the real kind)
- cake flour
- baking powder
- whole milk
A Note About Butter
Lets talk about butter for a minute. I use salted–I know many cooks and chefs disagree with this decision, but it’s what I use on our table, so it’s what I keep in stock–in my freezer. When butter goes on sale, I buy it up by the truckload. Or carload. Or armload. Usually there is a 2 carton limit. So, I go to the store repeatedly. And bring my husband with me, so he can buy some, too. I guess you could say we’re butter hoarders.
Instructions for Making This Cake
Begin by gathering all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the Topping
Start by making the “top” part of the dessert–which begins on the bottom.
Get out your large cast iron skillet. I believe mine is 12-inches. Melt the butter over medium-high heat and stir in the brown sugar. Arrange the pineapple slices and whole cherries in the buttery sauce. Then sprinkle the pecan halves over the fruit. Set this aside while you make the cake.
Prepare the Cake
Next whip up the batter, (which uses the reserved pineapple juice, so the cake, too, has pineapple flavor).
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, vegetable shortening, and butter. Add in large eggs and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
In a small bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with whole milk.
Pour the batter over the pineapple slices.
Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until cake tests done in the center with a toothpick.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Scrape sides of pan with knife, then carefully invert the cake onto a large serving plate. Out comes this lovely dessert. Beautiful.
Sweet, buttery, tender, saucy pineapple. So yummy!
Plan on making Pineapple Upside Down Cake for your next dinner party. Your guests will love you for it! This recipe will serve 8-10 people.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 20 oz. pineapple ring slices reserve juice
- 18 whole Maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Topping
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add brown sugar and stir until combined.
- Arrange pineapple slices and cherries on top of sugar mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
Prepare the Cake
- In large mixing bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, vegetable shortening, and softened butter. Add in large eggs and vanilla extract to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with whole milk.
- Pour batter over the arranged pineapple slices. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until cake tests done with a toothpick in the center.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Scrape sides of pan with knife, then, invert cake onto a serving plate. Serves 8-10