When I was a girl, my mom made Fresh Tart Rhubarb Pie from the rhubarb she grew in her garden. It was green, very sweet, very juicy, and so delicious. Paired with her flaky pie dough, it was always a hit. And still is today. …
Tag: Vegetable Shortening
This Traditional Pumpkin Pie recipe is one we make every year around Thanksgiving. It has been adapted from my mom’s recipe in that I add more salt to our crust and cloves to the pumpkin filling.
(Post updated with new photos on 11/15/21)
My husband is not a big fan of pumpkin, so I only make this recipe once or twice a year, but I always enjoy it. It just doesn’t seem like Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. Thankfully, our sons-in-law enjoy it, too, so I’m not eating it alone.
Ingredients to Make Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- all-purpose flour
- vegetable shortening
- cold water
- large eggs (2 of them)
- pumpkin puree
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- freshly ground ginger
- ground cloves
- evaporated milk
Freshly Whipped Cream
- cold heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- pure vanilla extract
A Note About Ingredients
When shopping for pumpkin puree, many folks insist on buying Libby brand, but I’ve found that I prefer the final results (taste and texture) that I get from the less expensive store brands. I’ve even tried making my own pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins, and that works well, too. So, don’t be afraid to use store brands when it comes to pumpkin puree.
When it comes to ginger, even though the amount is small, I like using freshly ground ginger in the recipe. It just brings out a bit more freshness to the filling.
And finally, regarding evaporated milk. I have substituted half and half for the evaporated milk, which works fine. But I do think the evaporated milk gives the filling a little more flavor.
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand.
Make the Pastry Crust
In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour and salt.
Using a blending fork, cut in shortening until it resembles small coarse crumbs.
Add half of the water. Mix the dough, and then add the remaining water. Mix until dough forms a ball.
On a floured surface, roll out pie dough to the size of your pie plate. Transfer to the plate and crimp edges. Set aside until ready to use.
Prepare the Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the large eggs, pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, freshly ground ginger, ground cloves, and evaporated milk. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
Bake at 425 degrees on a lower baking rack for 15 minutes and then decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 40-50 minutes, until center of pie is set.
Test with a knife inserted into the center of the pie that comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack. Serve with freshly whipped cream.
Make Freshly Whipped Cream
Using a large mixing bowl and whisk attachment, combine cold heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract.
Mix on high speed until medium peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to overmix as your cream may become curdled or gritty. You want the cream to be soft and billowy, which is the perfect consistency for dessert toppings.
This recipe will serve 8 people.
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening + 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
Fresh Whipping Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand.
To Make the Pastry Crust:
- In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Using a blending fork, cut in shortening until resembles small coarse crumbs.
- Add half water, mix dough, and then add remaining water and mix until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pie dough onto floured surface the size of your pie plate. Transfer to plate and crimp edges. Set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all filling ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees on lower baking rack for 15 minutes and then decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 40-50 minutes, until center of pie is set. Test with a knife inserted into center that comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
To Make Freshly Whipped Cream:
- To Make Freshly Whipped CreamUsing a large mixing bowl and whisk attachment, combine cold heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract.
- Mix on high speed until medium peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to overmix as your cream may become curdled or gritty. You want the cream to be soft and billowy, which is the perfect consistency for dessert toppings.
- Serve pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream. Serves 8.
Coconut Cream Pie is my husband’s favorite pie. A delicious vanilla pudding flavored with sweetened coconut flakes and topped with a fluffy, light-as-clouds meringue. I like making this pie from fall to spring, as it just goes perfectly with other comfort food recipes. Ingredients Needed …