Mom’s Peach Pie
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s my Mom’s Peach Pie recipe. My husband and daughters love it.
The peach filling uses fresh peaches and a flour mixture to thicken the sauce. I like to buy freestone peaches vs those that cling to the pit. Some folks swear that cling peaches have more flavor and are more juicy, but trying to peel and slice them is more hassle than it’s worth for me.
The crust is made with shortening, not lard or butter. I’ve been making this pie crust since I was a girl, and it has won a handful of purple ribbons at our county fair. Flaky crust. Golden brown topping with a sugary coating. So yummy!
Plus, it is an easy dough to work with. It comes together nicely to form a ball. Not too sticky, and it won’t fall apart when you’re rolling it out.
A Few Tips on Making Peach Pie
Remember when you’re rolling out your top crust to add some slits so the filling can breath. The design can be simple or elaborate. It’s your choice.
Bake the pie on the next to bottom rack in your oven and allow it to bake until the filling is bubbly and the crust is a deep golden brown. This should ensure that your bottom crust is cooked through.
I hope you will enjoy my Mom’s Peach Pie as much as we do.
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups fresh peaches peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7/8 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoon whole milk
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- In small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Peel and slice peaches. Place in a medium bowl. Pour sugar mixture over peaches and gently stir to mix.
- In medium sized bowl, mix together flour and salt. Add shortening and cut in with a blending fork until crumbly. Add 1/4 cup water and mix. Then add the rest of the water to finish mixing the dough. Dough should hold together in a ball. Divide into two parts.
- To prepare pie, roll out bottom dough on floured surface the size of your pie plate. Add peach filling. Sprinkle with bits of butter. Go around edge of crust with fingers dipped in water. Roll out top crust, making slits so your pie can breath. Lay over peaches. Remove excess dough. Crimp edges. With fingers, spread milk over top crust, then sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons sugar. Bake on next to bottom rack in 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes until crust is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Serves 8.