Chocolate Sheet Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Sheet Cake is a dessert my husband’s grandma used to bring to family gatherings. Everyone always loved it. I hope you will too.
(Post modified with new photos on 8/20/22.)
What was not to love? Moist cake that had a touch of cinnamon spice stirred in. Rich dark chocolate topped with a creamy chocolate icing that would melt in your mouth. And pecans. Probably picked from Grandma’s nearest pecan tree. Grandma Vogts’ love all bound up into a simple cake topped with tinfoil. That sounds pretty perfect to me.
Ingredients for Chocolate Sheet Cake
(See full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
- vegetable shortening
- baking cocoa
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Instructions for this Cake
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
In a small saucepan, heat shortening and butter, just until it melts. With a wire whisk stir in cocoa, then add water. Bring this to a rapid boil. Remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Pour the chocolate mixture over this. Add buttermilk, large eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Pour batter into a greased 10×15″ sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
Prepare the Icing
To prepare the icing, melt butter in a medium saucepan with cocoa, and milk. Whisk together and bring to a boil. Stir in vanilla extract. Add powdered sugar and nuts. Mix well.
The icing is my favorite part!
Spread the chocolate pecan icing over warm cake.
Serve with ice-cream or whipped cream. This cake will serve 18-20 people.
Some might call this Chocolate Sheet Cake a Texas sheet cake. And they would probably be correct. But this recipe came straight from Kansas, from one of my grandma’s many community/church cookbooks.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.Chop the pecans into small pieces.
Prepare the Cake Batter
- In a small saucepan, melt the vegetable shortening and butter. Whisk in baking cocoa, then add water. Bring to a rapid boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and ground cinnamon.
- Stir in chocolate mixture. Add buttermilk, large eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 10x15" jellyroll pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- To prepare icing, melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in baking cocoa, and whole milk. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract. Add powdered sugar and chopped pecans. Mix well.
- Spread over warm cake. Serve with ice-cream. Serves 18-20.