We love making our own Chinese dinners at home, and this Sweet and Sour Pork recipe is the perfect Main Course. Tender pieces of Seared Pork. Pineapple Chunks. Carrots, bell peppers, and onions, all come together in a sweet and savory sauce. These large dinners …
Tag: Sweet and Sour
Kielbasa Potato Skillet Dinner is a one-pot, quick and easy meal, sure to please your entire family!
We love Kielbasa, Potatoes, and Cabbage. And we love the sweet and sour flavors often found in German Cuisine. Which makes this recipe one of our favorite Weeknight Dinners.
Ingredients for Kielbasa Potato Skillet Dinner
- medium red potatoes (5-6 of them)
- extra virgin olive oil
- smoked kielbasa
- sweet onion
- bell peppers (green, yellow and/or red)
- garlic clove
- freshly chopped parsley
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- honey mustard
- crushed thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Instructions for Making This Skillet Dinner
Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand at the counter or table.
Prepare your Ingredients
Using a sharp knife and cutting board, cube the red potatoes. Dice the onion and bell peppers. Mince the garlic.
Slice the kielbasa into bite-size pieces.
I like to precooking the potatoes in the microwave for about 10 minutes, until they start to get tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, I’ll brown the Kielbasa and saute the diced onion, bell peppers and minced garlic until tender in a large cast iron skillet or shallow Dutch oven.
After 7-10 minutes, add in the microwaved potatoes and let them cook for a short while until they have a nice crispy, brown coating.
At this point, it’s time to add the cabbage. When I first began making this dish, I didn’t include cabbage. But over time, it found its way into the recipe. And we love the addition.
So anyway, cover your skillet with a lid and allow the cabbage to steam until tender.
Prepare the Sweet and Sour Sauce
While the cabbage is cooking, combine the following in a glass measuring cup: apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey mustard, dried parsley and thyme, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Pour this sweet and sour sauce over the cabbage.
I really think this is the KEY to the success of this dish. I love this sauce. It’s not too sweet, but it adds a wonderful flavor to the entire dish.
For an added touch, stir in some freshly chopped parsley and some precooked, crumbled bacon.
If I know I’m going to making this dish for supper, I’ll often fry extra bacon in the morning when I’m making breakfast. Otherwise, fry your bacon before you begin this recipe. You can never go wrong with bacon.
I like to serve this dish with Tangy Sourdough Bread. Wowza! Talk about a wonderful and delicious meal. I hope your family will love this easy, weeknight dinner as much as we do. This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
Kielbasa Potato Skillet Dinner
- 5 pieces bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 5-6 medium red potatoes cubed
- 1/8 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Smoked Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups assorted bell peppers diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until nicely browned. Allow to cool, and then crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare vegetables. Dice potatoes, onions, and peppers. Mince garlic. Coarsely shred cabbage. Set aside on plates or bowls until ready to use.
- In microwave-safe dish, cook potatoes in water for 10 minutes, until tender. Drain water.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, saute kielbasa, onion, bell peppers, and garlic in bacon grease and added olive oil until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes longer until potatoes are lightly browned. Add cabbage and cover with a lid. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- Meanwhile, in glass measuring cup, combine vinegar, brown sugar, honey mustard, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over cabbage and stir in along with bacon pieces. Add freshly chopped parsley, if desired. Continue simmering for 6-8 minutes until heated through. Serves 4-6.