Broccoli Cheese Soup
This Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for a cool autumn night when you need a little comfort food. Creamy, cheesy, and seasoned with onion and carrot with small bites of tender broccoli. Add a crusty loaf of sourdough bread and it becomes a heavenly weeknight dinner.
Ingredients Needed for Broccoli Cheese Soup
- sweet onion
- chicken stock
- package of frozen broccoli florets
- all-purpose flour
- whole milk
- lemon juice
- Velveeta cheese
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
A Few Notes About the Ingredients
The sweet onion and carrot add lovely flavor to this recipe as well as a bit of color.
If you do not have any chicken stock in your pantry, you may substitute chicken broth, although I believe the chicken stock offers more flavor. You could also use 2 cubes of chicken bouillon cubes with 2 cups of water if you do not have any chicken stock.
You may use 2-3 cups of fresh broccoli that has been broken into small pieces instead of the frozen.
If you desire a creamier soup, you may substitute half and half cream in place of the whole milk. Or even one cup whole milk, and one cup half and half, which I have done in the past and it is quite good.
Instructions for Making This Recipe
First off, gather the ingredients so you have everything at your fingertips. Start in by preparing the ingredients. Chop the onion. Peel and shred the carrot. Slice chunks of the Velveeta cheese and set all aside until ready to use.
In a large saucepan, saute the onion and carrot in melted butter until tender.
Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until tender on medium low.
In a small bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup whole milk to make a paste.
Add the remaining milk, lemon juice, and chunks of Velveeta to the soup. Cook on low until the cheese has melted.
Stir in the paste and continue cooking until the soup has thickened, stirring constantly.
When the soup has reached the desired consistency, remove from heat and allow to sit for 7-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. This recipe will serve 4 people.
I like to serve this soup with a crusty bread to sop up the creamy sauce, such as Tangy Sourdough Bread or Rustic Sourdough Baguettes.
See more Soup Ideas Here.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 10 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces Velvetta Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the ingredients. Chop the onion. Peel and shred the carrot. Slice chunks of the Velvetta cheese and set all aside until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in melted butter until tender.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until tender on medium low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/3 cup milk to make a paste.
- Add the remaining milk, lemon juice and chunks of Velveeta to the soup. Cook on low until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in the paste and continue cooking until the soup has thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let sit for 7-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4.