We love Mexican food, and I probably make it at least twice a month. It’s a great meal to plan when our entire family has gathered at our house as the options are many and the ingredients go a long way to serve many people. …
Tag: Flour Tortillas
Our family enjoys these Black Bean Beef Flautas that are baked in the oven, not fried. Spicy hamburger and black beans rolled up in a crunchy flour tortilla. So yummy!
The recipe was inspired by our many visits to Love’s Convenience Stores on frequent road trips with our daughters when they perform on weekends or mini tours in nearby states. Learn more about the Vogts Sisters and their music Here.
It’s not unusual for us to stop at Love’s and grab a bite to eat if it’s late and we’ve missed a meal. Hot Dogs, Egg Rolls, Chicken Tequitos, and Beef Flautas are probably our favorites.
Now, in case you’ve ever wondered, a Flauta is a long flour tortilla rolled up in filling and fried, (or in this case, baked) and a Taquito is a short corn tortilla rolled up in filling and fried.
Ingredients Needed for Black Bean Beef Flautas
- ground hamburger
- sweet onion
- minced garlic
- Louisiana Hot Sauce, or any hot sauce that you like
- low sodium soy sauce
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- canned black beans
- cheddar cheese
- flour tortillas (Use my recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas if desired.)
Instructions on Preparing the Flautas
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Spray foil with cooking spray. Prepare the ingredients before you begin. Using a box grater, shred the cheddar cheese and set it aside.
If you’ve visited this blog very often you may already know that I encourage folks to use block cheese rather than the shredded kind they can buy in the stores. Yes, it requires a bit more work to shred it yourself, but it’s better. It tastes better, melts better, and is better for you. Have you ever wondered why the shredded kind is so hard and doesn’t melt as well? Preservatives and chemicals. And who needs more of that?
Okay, moving on. Mince your onion and garlic and set them aside.
In a large skillet, brown the hamburger. Add onion, garlic, hot sauce, soy sauce, chili powder, onion powder, and ground cumin. Drain the black beans, and stir them into the hamburger mixture. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
If desired, warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them more pliable.
Spoon 1/2 cup of the meat mixture onto one edge of a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Roll tightly and lay seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until mixture is gone.
Brush olive oil over the tops and sides of each rolled tortilla. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn and bake for an additional 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. Serve with cheese dip, salsa, and sour cream. This recipe makes 10 Flautas.
See more Mexican Recipes Here.
Black Bean Beef Flautas
- 1 1/2 pounds ground hamburger
- 1/2 medium sweet onion minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 10 regular flour tortillas
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. Using a box grater, shred the cheddar cheese into a bowl or on a plate. Set aside. Mince onion and garlic.
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger. Add minced onion, garlic, hot sauce, soy sauce, chili powder, onion powder, and ground cumin. Stir in black beans. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- If desired, warm flour tortillas in the microwave to make them more pliable.
- Spoon 1/2 cup on one edge of flour tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Roll tightly and lay seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until mixture is gone.
- Brush tops and sides with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn and bake for an additional 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool ten minutes before serving.
- Serve with cheese dip, salsa, and sour cream. Makes 10 flautas.
PIN THIS TO A FAVORITE BOARD!