This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tortilla Pinwheels is a recipe shared with me by my niece Sandy, who always brings them to our family gatherings. They are wonderful. And they are always devoured. Quickly.
What’s not to love? Picante Sauce, Black Olives, Cheddar Cheese, Cream Cheese, Ham. Yum!
They are also perfect for a brunch or tea party. Bite size. Finger Foods. Pretty. Savory.
Secret Ingredient = Chopped Ham
I think the “secret” or “surprise” ingredient is the chopped ham. I would never have thought to add that to this recipe, but it helps hold them together. And it makes them taste fabulous. If you happen to have some leftover holiday ham, go ahead and chop some up for this recipe. You’ll want to use your food processor to make sure it’s nicely ground. Or just buy a can of chopped ham. That works, too.
Once you’ve made them, remember to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing. It helps them to firm up to hold their shape. Oh, and you have my permission to eat the ends of the Tortilla Pinwheels. Someone has to try them to make sure they’re good!
Ingredients Needed to Make Tortilla Pinwheels
- cream cheese, softened
- picante sauce
- cheddar cheese
- minced black olives
- ground ham
- flour tortillas
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Prep Your Ingredients
Begin by gathering your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Prepare your ingredients. Using a box grater, shred the cheddar cheese. Whenever possible, I encourage you to use block cheese instead of the kind that is already shredded.
Mince the black olives, if necessary, with a Chef’s knife on a cutting board. If you’re using leftover ham, now is the time to grind it in the food processor.
Mix and Assemble the Pinwheels
In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, picante sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, minced black olives, and ground ham. Mix well.
Heat the flour tortillas in microwave a few at a time for 20-30 seconds to make pliable.
Using a butter knife or offset spatula, spread the ham mixture to the very edges of the flour tortillas. Tightly roll and refrigerate for at least two hours.
If you’re short on time, you could place them in the freezer for 5-7 minutes. The refrigeration will help them stay firm while slicing.
When ready to serve, slice in 1″ pieces and secure with toothpicks.
This recipe will make 40-50 pinwheels.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons black olives minced
- 4 oz. ground ham
- 5-6 pieces flour tortillas
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand. Prepare your ingredients. Shred the cheddar cheese. If you're using leftover ham, shred it with a food processor.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, picante sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, minced black olives, and ground ham. Mix well.
- Heat tortillas in microwave for 20-30 seconds a few at a time to make pliable. Spread ham mixture to the very edges of tortillas. Tightly roll and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- When ready to serve, slice in 1" pieces and secure with toothpick. Makes 40-50 pinwheels.