Pan Fried Country Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pan Fried Country Potatoes is an easy recipe I make a lot for our family in the summer.
Crispy, tender potatoes, seasoned just right with onion, bell pepper, and salt and pepper. So easy to make.
Ingredients Needed to Make Pan Fried Country Potatoes
- Yukon potatoes (6 of them)
- vegetable oil
- sweet onion
- green bell pepper
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley
Instructions for Making this Recipe
Using a paring knife, wash and cube potatoes, leaving the skins on but removing any eyes. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to help steam. Cook in the microwave on high for 8-10 minutes, until the potatoes start to turn tender. Drain off any water.While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the rest of the vegetables. Coarsely chop onion and green pepper.
Heat a large cast iron skillet with oil. Add diced potatoes and allow to cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook for another 4 minutes until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium low.Add to the potatoes the chopped onion, green pepper, salt, and black pepper. Mix in with potatoes and allow to cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender. Cover and simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes more until ready to serve. Add fresh parsley before serving. This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
A Few Tips
I prefer to use Yukon Gold potatoes for this dish, but you could also use red or russet potatoes.
Through the years, I’ve started precooking the potatoes in the microwave to help speed up the process in the skillet. Just place your sliced potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes start to turn tender. They will have a soft starchiness to them at this point. Drain off any water that has developed. And then place them in a hot skillet with oil to finish cooking.
I like adding some fresh parsley to the potatoes, to give them a nice fresh look and taste. You could also use dried parsley.
See more Side Dishes Here.
Pan Fried Country Potatoes
- Cube potatoes and place on a microwave-safe plate. Cook on high for 8-10 minutes, until starting to turn tender.
- Heat large cast iron skillet with oil. Add diced potatoes and allow to cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix in with potatoes and allow to cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes more until ready to serve. Add fresh parsley before serving. Serves 4-6