Southwest Bean Salad
When summer arrives in Kansas, I turn to quick and easy meals that are light and often cool. I’ve mentioned before that my husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, but even he enjoys this hearty Southwest Bean Salad in the summertime. Just be sure to put plenty of meat on the salad. Oh, and Ranch Dressing. He always puts ranch dressing on his salads, no matter what.
This summer salad is packed with flavor and lots of heart-healthy foods sure to satisfy every appetite. Spinach + Avocado + Beans + Peppers + Tomatoes + Chicken = lots of vitamins and fiber and good things that keep your body running strong.
Ingredients Needed for Southwest Bean Salad
- extra virgin olive oil
- chicken tenders
- garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- black beans
- mini sweet peppers
- Roma tomatoes
- green peppers
- creamy Italian dressing
Instructions on Making this Salad
Using a knife and cutting board, slice chicken tenders into 1-2 inch chunks. Heat a large skillet with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook chicken for 7-10 minutes until cooked through. Add beans and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
Prepare vegetables. In large bowl, combine sliced sweet peppers, tomatoes, avocado, green peppers, and spinach. Spoon chicken mixture over top and toss with your favorite salad dressing (I used creamy Italian).
Then sprinkle the salad with your favorite croutons. Or even better, make your own. See my recipe for Homemade Sourdough Croutons Here.
If you prefer, you may serve the cooked chicken and beans cold. This recipe serves 4-6 people.
Besides croutons, I also like serving a dinner salad like this with flatbread. There is something very satisfying about eating flatbread with a salad, and say, maybe a glass of white wine or Pinot Noir. See these Flatbread Recipes for More Ideas!
See more Dinner Salad Ideas Here.
- 1 pound chicken tenders sliced 1/2" thick
- 8 oz. garbanzo beans drained
- 8 oz. black beans rinsed and drained
- 6 whole mini sweet peppers sliced
- 2 whole Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 whole avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup green peppers chopped
- Spinach greens
- Croutons Make Your Own
- Creamy Italian dressing
- Using a knife and cutting board(s), prepare chicken by cutting tenders into 1-2 inch pieces. Slice vegetables as directed.
- Heat a large skillet with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook chicken pieces for 7-10 minutes until cooked through. Add beans and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- In large bowl, combine sweet peppers, tomatoes, avocado, green peppers, and spinach. Spoon chicken mixture over top and toss with your favorite salad dressing (I used creamy Italian) and croutons.
- *You can also serve the cooked chicken and beans cold, if you prefer. Serves 4-6.