This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This past year, I have become a big fan of hummus. This homemade Spinach Hummus is delicious. I just love the texture and taste of this lovely dip.
There are many varieties of hummus that you can purchase in the store. Usually they will have some Extra-virgin Olive Oil drizzled in the center, along with some special spices and seasonings. Mediterranean, for instance, might have chopped olives, basil or sun-dried tomatoes in the center. Or you might find some with roasted red peppers, artichokes, roasted garlic, or pine nuts. The flavor combinations are nearly endless. What’s even better, is making your own from home. It’s so easy!
What makes a traditional hummus is an ingredient called Tahini (sesame seed paste). Until recently, I had never used Tahini, but I found some on Amazon and now keep it in my pantry. It really does add to the recipe.
Please note that you can make this recipe without Tahini. It is still very good. If you want that nutty sesame seed taste, you could substitute sesame oil for the extra-virgin olive oil.
Ingredients Needed for Spinach Hummus
- extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- paprika for topping
Preparing the Hummus
In a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add chickpeas, spinach, basil, tahini, olive oil, water, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl. If the hummus seems too thick, add additional water as necessary. Process again and taste for seasoning.Transfer to a pretty serving bowl and garnish with paprika. Makes 1 3/4 cups.
Give this recipe a whirl for your next gathering of friends or family. Serve with fresh veggies, toasted pita chips, crackers, or blue corn tortilla chips.
- 15 oz. chickpeas drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika topping
- In a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add chickpeas, spinach, basil, tahini, olive oil, water, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. If the hummus seems too thick, add additional water as necessary. Process again and taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with paprika. Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips, or crackers. Makes 1 3/4 cups.
PIN THIS ON A FAVORITE BOARD