Grandma’s Pistachio Salad
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s a recipe I grew up with as a girl and still enjoy today! Grandma’s Pistachio Salad is especially nice for family gatherings or church dinners. This salad is also kid-friendly. Not only to make with little hands, but also to eat. Kids love to dip their spoons into this salad. In fact, it’s one of our grandchildren’s favorite dishes.
My mom always called this Watergate Salad, and according to online searches, the recipe may have originated from Kraft as Pistachio Pineapple Delight. Apparently, a food editor in Chicago gave it the Watergate name to help gain interest in the salad when Kraft came out with the instant Pistachio pudding in 1976, just a year after the Watergate scandal.
Wherever it originated and no matter why, it’s a very easy and yummy salad to make. Sweet, fluffy, and a pretty light, mint green color. The addition of chopped pistachios and/or maraschino cherries on top would make the salad extra pretty on a holiday table.
Ingredients Needed to Make Grandma’s Pistachio Salad
- instant pistachio pudding
- crushed pineapple
- whipped topping
- miniature marshmallows
- maraschino cherries (optional)
- chopped pistachio nuts (optional)
Instructions for Making This Salad
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the instant pistachio pudding and crushed pineapple. Do not drain the pineapple.
Add whipped topping and fold in until all is combined.
Add miniature marshmallows, 2-3 cups, or as many as you desire.
Place in a pretty serving bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Before serving, top with optional garnishes of chopped pistachio nuts and/or 3-5 maraschino cherries in the middle of the salad.
This salad will serve 6-8 people. If you need more, simply double or triple the recipe.
See more Salad Recipes Here.
Grandma's Pistachio Salad
- 3.4 oz instant pistachio pudding
- 11 oz crushed pineapple do not drain
- 8 oz whipped topping like Cool Whip
- 2 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- chopped pistachios optional garnish
- maraschino cherries optional garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together pistachio pudding and crushed pineapple.
- Add whipped topping and stir until all is combined.
- Add miniature marshmallows.
- Place in a pretty serving bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, top with optional chopped pistachios and/or maraschino cherries. Serves 6-8.