Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I like to serve Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches in the spring or summer for a special lunch or evening dinner. It is especially nice for a Mother’s Day luncheon if you adjust the recipe to size.
(Post modified with new photos on 8/25/22.)
The first time I ate chicken salad was at a family gathering at my grandma’s house. They just used wheat bread, but it was so good. I remember thinking what a wonderful flavor combination chicken, grapes, celery, and cashews made.
And it is a wonderful combination. The first time I made this recipe was when I catered lunch for a small conference of 50 people. I ran a pencil through the numbers and made adjustments to the measurements. It was at this point that I learned what happens when you chop a bunch of onions in a food processor.
Processing onions in a food processor leaves you with a lot of onion juice.
Which I included in the sandwich ingredients. That small adjustment had an amazing effect. It added so much extra flavor to the sandwiches!
I combined all of the ingredients except for the cashews the night before. Then we made the sandwiches the next morning, using large bakery croissant rolls that were buttered. We wrapped the sandwiches in waxed paper and ate them at noon. They were delicious. Better than what I remembered from my first taste. And I’m just sure it had to do with the onion juice. And possibly the extra refrigeration time.
Ingredients for Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
(See full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
- cooked boneless chicken breast, shredded
- seedless red grapes
- minced sweet onion
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- cashews (optional)
- large bakery croissant rolls
Instructions for Making Chicken Salad
First, gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Ingredients
In a medium saucepan, cook the chicken breasts in boiling water for 20-25 minutes until tender and cooked through. Shred with a knife and fork.
If you want to use whole chicken breast with skin and bone, that is certainly okay, although you may need to cook the chicken longer.
While the chicken is cooking, slice seedless red grapes in half with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Dice celery into thin pieces.
Using a food processor, mince a sweet onion.
I like using the food processor for this which makes the additional onion juice, which I include in the mixture.
Coarsely chop cashews with a knife or nut chopper.
Including cashews in the salad is optional, although they give the salad a lovely taste. If you think you’ll have leftovers, however, the cashews tend to soften…which isn’t so lovely.
Mix Together the Salad Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, and prepared grapes, celery, and onion. Add mayonnaise, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir together to combine.
If making this ahead of time, refrain from adding the cashews until time to serve. At this point, you may cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight.
When ready to serve, add the chopped cashews to the mixture, if desired. Scoop a generous portion on buttered croissant rolls with lettuce.
A Few Reminders
- Don’t overcook the chicken. Make sure it’s cooked, but still very tender.
- Use real mayonnaise. Not salad dressing (like Miracle Whip).
- Add the cashews when you’re ready to make the sandwiches. They tend to soak up the moisture if they sit too long in the salad.
- Buy large bakery croissant rolls and butter them before assembling the sandwiches.
I hope you’ll enjoy Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches as much as we do. This recipe makes 6-8 sandwiches. Serve with your favorite potato chips and Sweet Gherkin Pickles.
See more Sandwich Ideas Here. Browse Chicken Recipes Here.
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
- 2 cups cooked boneless chicken breast shredded
- 2 cups seedless red grapes cut in half
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion minced
- 2/3 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cashews chopped, if desired
- 8 large bakery croissant rolls
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prep Your Ingredients
- In a medium saucepan, cook the boneless chicken breast in boiling water for 20-25 minutes until tender and cooked through. Remove from water and allow to cool. Shred with a knife and fork.
- Slice seedless red grapes in half with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Dice celery into thin pieces.
- Using a food processor, mince the sweet onion. (I like using the food processor for this which makes the additional onion juice, which I include in the mixture.)
- Coarsely chop cashews with a food chopper or knife.
Mix Together the Salad
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, and prepared grapes, celery, and sweet onion. Add mayonnaise, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. If making this ahead of time, refrain from adding the cashews until time to serve. At this point, you may cover and refrigerate the mixture until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, add the chopped cashews to the mixture. Scoop a generous portion on buttered croissant rolls with lettuce. Makes 6-8 sandwiches.
8 thoughts on “Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches”
I am a fan of these too! You can't go wrong with chicken salad in a crescent!
Thanks for stopping by, Crunchy Creamy Sweet!
I love chicken salad sandwiches and with a cresent, grapes and cashews I bet it's incrediable! Tasty!
I think it might be good with almonds too, though I haven't tried that.
That looks terrific! I cannot wait to try your recipe. Come visit us. We have a wonderful panini recipe to share.
Thanks for stopping by. Your strawberry panini looks great and EASY! Have a great weekend!
Amazing recipe!! Definite crowd pleaser
Hey Abbey! We love this chicken salad recipe.