Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry is a perfect recipe for summer meals. Great with Egg Drop Soup or Egg Rolls.
When I first started eating out at Chinese restaurants with my family as a girl one of the first dishes I would select was Pineapple Chicken. That or Sweet and Sour Pork. Those dishes seemed “safe” to try.
You have to understand that I am a Kansas girl and my family ate “traditional” foods like meatloaf, steak and potatoes, or fried chicken. My mom never served us any chow mien noodles or stir-fry. That was all foreign or alien to me and my family.
Fast-forward twenty-five years, and now my family and I love Chinese/Asian food. In fact, you’ll find many of our favorite Asian Recipes on this blog. Life is all about trying and tasting new things.
This recipe is fast and easy, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner. Tender chunks of chicken, pineapple, bell peppers, and onion, all served up in a sweet, savory sauce over rice.
Ingredients Needed to Make Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry
- pineapple chunks (and reserved juice)
- red wine vinegar
- low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- chicken bouillon cube
- ground ginger
- chicken strips
- green pepper
- all-purpose flour
- seasoned salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
How to Make This Stir-Fry
In a large saucepan, combine the reserved pineapple juice, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, cornstarch, chicken bouillon, and ginger. Whisk together until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
Using a cutting board and knife, prepare chicken by cutting into 1-2 inch pieces. With a second cutting board slice carrots and bell pepper. Chop onion and mince the garlic. (I have separate cutting boards for meats and vegetables. It’s a safe practice and I encourage you to do so also.)
Mix together flour, seasoning salt, and black pepper in a large plastic bag. Add in chicken and toss to coat.
In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high. Place chicken in skillet and brown on all sides. When cooked through, add prepared carrots, green pepper, onion, garlic, and pineapple chunks.
Cook for another 8-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Pour reserved sauce over chicken and bring to a boil. Serve over cooked rice. This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
See more Asian Recipes Here.
Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice drained from pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce reduced sodium
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken strips cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 large green pepper sliced
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 20 oz. pineapple chunks drained and reserve juice
- In large saucepan, combine reserved pineapple juice, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, cornstarch, chicken bouillon, and ginger. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
- Prepare chicken and vegetables with knife and cutting boards. Cut chicken into 1-2 inch pieces. On a second cutting board, slice carrots and bell peppers. Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Mix together flour, seasoning salt, and black pepper in a large plastic bag. Add in chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high. Place chicken in skillet. Brown on all sides.
- When chicken is cooked through, add sliced carrots, green pepper, onion, garlic, and pineapple chunks. Cook for another 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bring to a boil. Serve over cooked rice. Serves 4-6.
PIN THIS TO A FAVORITE BOARD!