Chicken and Dumplings
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken and Dumplings make perfect Weeknight Comfort Food. On a Deluxe level! Serve this recipe to your family on a cold winter night. This soup simply translates into all things comfort.
Creamy sauce. Homemade dumplings. Juicy chicken thighs. Tender vegetables.
- 6 cups water
- 6 pieces chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, place chicken in water. Add carrots, celery, peas, onion, thyme, oregano, and bouillon cubes. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Bring to a boil, then cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dumplings. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups milk, stirring gently to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and allow to cool on a plate. Remove the skin and bone from the chicken. Shred and place the chicken back in the pot. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour to form a paste. Slowly add it to the broth and whisk to combine.
- Drop tablespoons of dumpling dough into the simmering pot. Season with parsley and salt and pepper. Cover the pot and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to set uncovered for 12 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.