Beef Teriyaki with Vegetables
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beef Teriyaki with Vegetables is a delicious recipe that rivals that of your favorite Chinese restaurant.
(Post modified on 1/15/23.)
When you go to a Chinese Restaurant, do you prefer ordering from a menu or going through a buffet line? I am in the latter camp because I enjoy the vast amount of choices. And I love Asian food. Who wants to order one big entree when you could taste five!
Sometimes I get in the mood to make my own Chinese Food.
Sometimes I Want Chinese Food at Home
As I’ve mentioned before, I go a little crazy in the kitchen at least twice a year, and host a Chinese Dinner for our family. I’ll plan the menu out on paper, deciding what steps I can do ahead of time in an effort to save myself from that last-minute craziness. And it does help. But there’s no stopping it. It’s always crazy at the last minute.
Fortunately, the main courses tend to be very easy. Like this one. The prep time takes a bit more, because of cutting all the vegetables, but assembling and cooking goes quickly. Which is nice.
Feel free to use frozen stir-fry vegetables for this dish, which will make things go even more quickly. A win-win for weeknight dinners!
Ingredients for Beef Teriyaki with Vegetables
(See the full recipe in its entirety at the bottom of this post.)
- round steak, sliced thin
- vegetable oil
- broccoli florets
- button mushrooms
- medium zucchini
- sweet onion
- green bell pepper
- long white rice (I like to use jasmine rice when I can find it in stores.)
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- minced garlic
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground ginger
- red pepper flakes
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Gather the beef and vegetables so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Ingredients
Using a Santoku knife and cutting board, slice the round steak into thin pieces.
With a second cutting board and Chef’s Knife, slice the broccoli into small florets, the button mushrooms and zucchini. Peel and slice carrots. Coarsely chop the sweet onion and green bell pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
Sometimes I will use frozen stir fry vegetables instead of the broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots. This will make your dinner preparations go even faster. But if you want fresh, that’s great, too. Whatever suits your time and frame-of-mind!
In a medium saucepan, prepare the long white rice according to package instructions.
Many times I will opt to use brown or wild rice for dishes, but I prefer a long white rice for this dish. If I can find it, I prefer Jasmine Rice, which is lovely.
Cook the Beef and Vegetables
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil and cook strips of steak until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add the prepared broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, onion, zucchini, and green bell pepper to the hot skillet. Add 1-2 tablespoons water to steam vegetables for 5-7 minutes.
Prepare the Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Gather the ingredients for the Homemade Teriyaki Sauce.
In a large bowl, combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, minced garlic, garlic and onion powders, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes. Whisk well.
Pour the sauce over vegetables and cook on medium heat until sauce thickens. Add steak strips and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Beef Teriyaki with Vegetables
- 2 pounds round steak sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 whole button mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper chopped
- 2 cups long white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce low-sodium
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Ingredients
- Using a Santoku Knife and cutting board, thinly slice the round steak.
- With a second cutting board and Chef's knife, slice off the broccoli florets, then slice the mushrooms, and zucchini. Peel and slice the carrots. Coarsely chop the onion and green bell pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
Cook the Rice
- In a medium saucepan, prepare the long white rice according to package instructions.
Cook the Steak and Vegetables
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil and cook strips of steak until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, onion, and green pepper to skillet. Add 1-2 tablespoons water to steam vegetables for 5-7 minutes.
Prepare the Teriyaki Sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, minced garlic, garlic and onion powders, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes. Whisk well.
- Pour over vegetables and cook on medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Add steak strips and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve over cooked rice. Serves 4-6.