This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Once you try this recipe for Country Biscuits, you may never go back to store bought canned or frozen. All three of our daughters have made these biscuits for the county fair and received purple ribbons.
When preparing for a camping trip, I’ll schedule our meals and plan accordingly, measuring out any recipe ingredients that I can ahead of time. Such as these biscuits. I’ll measure and mix the dry ingredients and shortening and place the mixture in a quart freezer bag. Then with a black marker, I’ll list the remaining ingredients and instructions. It makes baking in the mountains so much easier.
Country Biscuits are Kid-Friendly
This recipe is also perfect for a young child to learn fundamental cooking skills.
- Measuring dry ingredients
- Cutting in shortening
- Cracking an egg
- Measuring liquid ingredient
- Kneading dough
- Rolling (or patting) out the dough
- Using a biscuit cutter
- Baking in an oven
All great skills to practice and learn.
Ingredients Needed to Make Country Biscuits
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- cream of tartar
- large egg
- whole milk
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Using a blending fork, cut in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, beat egg and milk lightly. Add egg mixture to flour ingredients and mix until combined.
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 10-15 times. Pat or roll out into 3/4″ – 1″ thick and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake until golden brown 10 -12 minutes.
So, whether you’re planning your next camping trip or just a quiet dinner at home, try making some Country Biscuits for your family. Serve them with a chunk of cheddar cheese. With your favorite jam. Or honey. Or maybe some homemade apple butter. Yum.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, beat egg and milk lightly. Add egg mixture to flour ingredients and mix until combined.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead 10-15 times. Roll out 3/4" - 1" thick and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake until golden brown 10 -12 minutes. Remove and place biscuits on a wire cooling rack.
- Makes 20-24 biscuits. Serve with jelly and/or sausage gravy.