This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sloppy Joes make great sandwiches for a weeknight supper. I have been making this recipe for years. My daughters and I love them. Sweet and savory meat sauce on a toasted bun. So good!
Recently, I changed up the recipe substituting 1 cup of ketchup for 10 oz. of tomato sauce. This made for a thicker, richer sauce that we really liked. My husband (who usually isn’t a fan) gave them a thumbs up and ate a second sandwich!
Ingredients Needed to Make Sloppy Joes
- lean hamburger 80/20
- dried minced onion
- brown sugar
- red wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- yellow mustard
- garlic powder
- onion salt
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- water, as needed
- wheat hamburger buns
Instructions for Making This Recipe
In large skillet, brown hamburger. When brown stir in ketchup, minced onion, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, seasonings, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
A Slow Simmer Gives The Sauce a Chance to Blend
Cover the skillet and allow the sauce to simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water as necessary.
Since the ketchup makes it thicker, I had to add water at the beginning of the simmering process and once or twice more after that. You don’t want your sauce to dry out.
While meat is simmering, prepare hamburgers buns. Butter inside of each bun. Cook on a hot griddle until nicely browned. Set aside until ready to serve. This helps prevent the bun from getting soggy, and also adds a nice crunchiness and flavor to the sandwich.
Spoon meat sauce on grilled hamburger buns. Serve with your favorite condiments. I like to serve them with mustard and dill pickles, as well as Oven Baked Fries or Baked Parmesan Fries. I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do! This recipe will make 6-8 sandwiches.
- 1 pound lean ground burger 80/20
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 cups water as needed
- 6-8 sets wheat hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger. When browned, stir in ketchup, minced onion, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, seasonings, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover skillet and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water as necessary.
- While meat is simmering, prepare hamburgers buns. Butter inside of each bun. Cook on a hot griddle until nicely browned. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve meat sauce on grilled hamburger buns. Serve with your favorite condiments. Makes 6-8 burgers.