Zesty Pizza Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We’ve been enjoying Zesty Pizza Sauce at our house for years. It’s the perfect amount of tomato combined with herbs and seasonings that give your pizza just the right amount of zing that compliments the other toppings and of course, that glorious crust!
Sure, you could buy pizza sauce already made. But why do that, when it’s so easy to make? And quite delicious. Our family loves it.
When I first began making this sauce, I didn’t cook it. And it was good that way. But then, I decided to let it simmer on the stove for a little while. So that the crushed tomatoes cooked down to a thick, rich sauce. And we liked it so much more!
If you want to try the sauce without cooking it, just add all the ingredients together at once. Either way is good. This works well for any pizza you want to make, whether Thin and Crispy, a Skillet Pan Pizza, or even a New York Artisan Pizza.
Ingredients for Zesty Pizza Sauce
- crushed tomatoes
- red wine vinegar
- granulated sugar
- Italian seasoning herbs
- dried minced onion
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- seasoned salt
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions for Making This Recipe
In a small saucepan, mix together the crushed tomatoes, red wine vinegar, granulated sugar, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and seasoned salt.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes until it has reduced by half.
Add Parmesan cheese, if desired, after sauce has simmered. It’s best to wait until the sauce has simmered before adding the Parmesan cheese, as it has the tendency to become a thickened mess when combined with heat. And clean-up is not fun when that happens. Especially on spoons.
Pour over large unbaked pizza dough. Makes enough for two large pizzas. You may also use this as a dipping sauce.
A Note about Parmesan Cheese
I will note here, that I do not use fresh Parmesan in this sauce recipe. I save my fresh Parmesan for pasta, pizza toppings, and for use at the table.
Zesty Pizza Sauce
- 15 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, mix together crushed tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sugar, Italian seasoning, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and seasoned salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese after sauce has simmered.
- Pour over large unbaked pizza dough. Makes enough for two large pizzas. You may also use for dipping sauce