Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wondering what to do with your excess garden zucchini? This Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a perfect answer. I like this dish so well I sometimes eat it as a meal by itself.
My Niece Nicki first introduced me to this recipe. She had made it as one of her 4-H cooking projects. We tasted it later and have been enjoying it at our Vogts’ Family Gatherings ever since.
This dish is a wonderful way to use some of your garden vegetables. The cheesy stuffing goes well with roasted dinners and also barbecues or picnics. It’s loaded with flavor, and even people who normally wouldn’t eat zucchini have been known to enjoy it. Imagine that!
Ingredients Needed to Make Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- medium zucchini or yellow squash
- sweet onion
- green pepper
- cornbread stuffing mix
- cream of chicken soup
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gather all your ingredients so that you have them close at hand on the counter or table. Prepare your ingredients. Coarsely shred the zucchini and carrots with a box grater. Using a cutting board and chef’s knife, chop onion, and bell pepper. Using a glass measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave for use later.
Use Block Cheese and Shred Your Own
Shred your cheese. I don’t need to remind you to use block cheese rather than pre-shredded, right? Always shred your own. It doesn’t take that much extra time and it’s so much better.
Heat a medium saucepan and saute the zucchini, carrots, onion, and peppers in 4 tablespoons melted butter till tender. Stir in 1 cup stuffing mix, cream of chicken soup, and sour cream.
If you don’t have cream of chicken soup in your pantry, you may substitute cream of celery or cream of mushroom.
Spoon the stuffing mixture into a medium baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, add the remaining melted butter to the remaining stuffing mix. Stir together. Sprinkle over the top of casserole and then top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. This recipe will serve 8 people.
Bakeware Should be Pretty
Use a pretty piece of bakeware for this recipe and your dish can go from oven to table. I really love Pioneer Woman's baking dishes. They are so colorful and handy. I believe everyone should own at least one!
See more Side Dishes Here.
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots peeled
- 1/2 cup butter divided
- 6 oz cornbread stuffing mix divided
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Shred zucchini and carrots with a box grater. Using a cutting board, chop onion, and bell pepper.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute zucchini, carrots, onion, and peppers in 4 tablespoons melted butter until tender. Stir in 1 cup stuffing mix, cream of chicken soup, and sour cream.
- Spoon mixture into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter and add remaining stuffing mix. Stir together. Sprinkle over top of casserole and top with cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serves 8.