Sweet Cucumbers and Onions
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is a recipe to use up all those cucumbers in your garden. Some people refer to Sweet Cucumbers and Onions as refrigerator pickles because they are easy and quick to make, and you store them in the refrigerator rather than canning them.
I ate these cucumbers and onions at nearly every meal when I was pregnant with my youngest. It’s a wonder she didn’t turn into a pickle!
This recipe is an old family favorite. My grandma used to make it every summer, as did my mom. Only my mom didn’t add sugar to hers. Now, every summer, you can count on seeing these pickles at my mom’s family gathering.
They’re easy to make. And so delicious. I love them still.
Ingredients for Sweet Cucumbers and Onions
- apple cider vinegar
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- cucumbers (pickle cucumbers work well)
- white onion
- green bell pepper
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Vegetables
Using a knife or food processor, slice the pickling cucumbers, white onions, and green bell peppers.
If you prefer, you may use a food processor to slice the cucumbers and onions. It might be quicker. And cause fewer tears. I will chop the bell pepper with a knife, though, as I don’t want them minced and slicing them just doesn’t quite work.
Make the Vinegar Brine
In a large glass measuring cup, combine the white vinegar, granulated sugar, and kosher salt. Mix until dissolved.
Place the sliced vegetables in a large pickle jar and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
After I’ve made a batch of these, I’m always eager to eat them before their full eight hours of refrigeration. Who wants to wait that long? If you’re the same, it will be okay. They just won’t taste quite as sweet. Or be quite as shriveled. But life is short. And you gotta enjoy it while you can. So, you have my permission to eat them after 2-3 hours.
Before serving, mix the pickle mixture with a long-handled spoon. You may store these quick pickles in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. Makes around 8 cups.
See more Salad Recipes Here.
(Recipe updated 8/7/21)
Sweet Cucumbers and Onions
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 cups sliced cucumbers pickling cucumbers work well
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
- Using a knife or food processor, slice the cucumbers, white onions, and green bell peppers.
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine the apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, and kosher salt. Mix until dissolved.
- Place the vegetables in a large pickle jar and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Mix with a long-handled spoon before serving. May store in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. Makes around 8 cups.