Kenny’s Cowboy Beans
My brothers are both good cooks. Kenny’s Cowboy Beans is a recipe my oldest brother concocted, which turned out fabulous. My favorite go-to recipe when I want a batch of cowboy beans.
Ingredients For Kenny’s Cowboy Beans
- canned kidney beans
- canned pinto beans
- diced ham (or if you happen to be cooking brisket, you could add in bits of beef)
- green pepper
- chilies or jalapenos
- brown sugar
- honey barbecue sauce (We like Sweet Baby Rays)
- beef broth
- yellow mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- mustard seed
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Preparing the Beans
Preparing the beans is very easy. In a large baking dish combine all of your ingredients and mix well. Bake uncovered for 2-3 hours in a 225 degree oven until the beans are thick and bubbly. You may wish to add more broth, depending on your desired consistency.
If you really want to go the extra mile, use dried beans in place of the canned. Of course, you’d have to add in the extra time it takes for them to soak. But it would be delicious.
When it comes to adding the meat, my brother usually uses half ham and half brisket. But he raises cattle, so of course, he’s going to use beef. You could also add sliced Kielbasa to this dish for a great one-pot meal. Yum!
An Authentic Pot of Beans
For those of you who want to turn this dish into an authentic pot of beans, get out your aluminum or cast iron dutch oven–the kind you can put over hot coals, and cook your beans outside under the moon and stars.
This dish is perfect for a Country Chuckwagon Dinner. Or serve Kenny’s Cowboy Beans with your favorite smoked brisket, Sirloin Steak, or Baby Back Ribs.
See more Chuckwagon Dinner Ideas Here.
Kenny's Cowboy Beans
- 31 oz red kidney beans drained
- 31 oz pinto beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham or even better, pieces of leftover brisket
- 1/2 large onion minced
- 1/2 large green pepper chopped
- 4 oz chopped chilies or 2-3 diced jalapenos (depending on your taste for hot and spicy)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey barbecue sauce We like Sweet Baby Rays
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/8 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- In large baking dish sprayed with baking spray, combine all ingredients and mix well. Bake uncovered for 2-3 hours at 225 degrees, adding more broth if needed. Serves 12-15.
PIN THIS TO A FAVORITE BOARD!