This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Curd is a wonderful addition for your next batch of scones! It’s so easy. In less than thirty minutes you’ll have this amazing, creamy, tart sauce. It’s so good. You’ll be eating it by the spoonful! But don’t eat it all, because you’re going to want some to put on your scones!
When we were planning our youngest daughters’ bridal shower tea party, we did a lot of research on authentic British teas. We noticed three recurring items: Clotted Cream. Lemon Curd. And Strawberry Jam. Three very British tea condiments.
Of course, we could have purchased them already made. But who wants to do that when you can make them yourself?
Making this lemon sauce is really easy. And it’s so yummy. You’ll ask yourself why you haven’t been making it every month!
Ingredients Needed to Make Lemon Curd
- large eggs (3 of them)
- granulated sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- butter, melted
- lemon zest
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Gather all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Prepare your ingredients. Using a fine edge grater, zest the lemon.
Using a chef’s knife or Santoku knife on a cutting board, slice the lemons in half. With a lemon squeezer or a glass juicer, squeeze lemon juice into a glass measuring cup or bowl.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the large eggs and granulated sugar until combined. Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice, melted butter, and lemon zest.
Cook over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes until thickened and reaches 160 degrees.
Allow the lemon curd to cool. If desired, you may strain the curd with a fine mesh strainer into a container.
Place in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use. This recipe will make 1 2/3 cups.
Serve with warm scones. Or use the filling to make Lemon Tarts. Or even a Lemon Meringue Pie!
See more Tea Party Ideas Here.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Using a cutting board, slice lemons in half. With a citrus squeezer, squeeze the lemon juice into a glass measuring cup or bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the large eggs and granulated sugar until combined. Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice, melted butter and lemon zest. Cook over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes until thickened and reaches 160 degrees.
- Allow to cool. If desired, you may strain the curd with a fine mesh strainer into a container. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 1 2/3 cups.