Weekend Brunch Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I received this Weekend Brunch Casserole recipe a long time ago at a 4-H cooking meeting when my girls were young. Lined with a crescent roll crust and topped with chopped ham or pork sausage, eggs, and mozzarella cheese. Simple and delicious.
The recipe has been tweaked just a bit to suite our tastes, and I have been serving this recipe to our family for years. It is wonderful and certainly a family favorite.
Ingredients Needed to Make Weekend Brunch Casserole
(See the full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
- chopped ham or ground pork sausage
- refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- large eggs
- mozzarella cheese
- whole milk
- sweet onion
- dried parsley
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Tips on Making This Casserole
I have used both chopped ham or ground sausage for this recipe. Both are very good.
If using chopped ham, I like to buy precooked ham pieces, such as Farmland’s Smoked Spiral Ham Slices and Pieces. Simply chop into bite-size pieces and place in your casserole. No need to cook the ham as it’s ready to go.
If using ground sausage, I always shop for the lowest fat option I can find.
I like Oldham’s Country Sausage, which has 16 grams of fat. With this brand, you don’t sacrifice any flavor, and it’s not necessary to drain the fat after cooking. A real plus!
Now, let’s talk cheese. With this recipe, I like mozzarella best, but I’ve also used Swiss or Monterey Jack. Always buy chunk cheese and grate it yourself.
Yes, shredding the cheese is an added step and takes a bit longer, but it’s also worth the effort. Have you ever wondered why the grated cheese that you buy has a waxy feel to it? Or why it doesn’t melt as good? Hmm. Good questions to ask yourself. And good reasons to stay away from it.
On occasion, I’ve found crescent rolls that are not perforated. This type is perfect for this dish. If you can find it, go for it. It will save you the effort of pinching the seams together.
And finally, use large eggs. Or extra large. Farm fresh, if you have that option. Farm fresh is always best!
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Using a box grater, shred the mozzarella cheese. With a sharp knife on a cutting board, mince the sweet onion.
Chop the precooked ham pieces. Or, if using sausage, crumble and cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium high heat until browned. Drain grease.
Line the bottom of a greased 13×9 inch baking dish with crescent roll dough, firmly pressing perforations to seal. Sprinkle with chopped ham or browned sausage.
In a medium bowl, combine large eggs, grated mozzarella cheese, whole milk, minced onion, dried parsley, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix together until well blended. Pour egg mixture over the ham or sausage.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-24 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
Serve hot with your favorite salsa. You may cover and refrigerate any leftovers. This recipe will serve 6-8 people.
Make this Weekend Brunch Casserole for your family. Or take it to your next Mother’s Day Brunch. I like to serve fresh fruit and scones with this dish such as Fresh Fruit Cocktail Salad and Mixed Berry Scones.
See more Breakfast Ideas Here.
Weekend Brunch Casserole
- 1 pound chopped ham or ground pork sausage
- 8 oz refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 8 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather ingredients. Grate mozzarella cheese. Mince onion.
- I've made this recipe with both chopped ham or cooked bulk sausage. Both are very good. If using ham, I like to buy thick precooked ham pieces (Farmland Smoked Spiral Ham Pieces) and chop them into smaller bites. If using bulk sausage, crumble and cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium high heat until browned. Drain grease.
- Line the bottom of a greased 13x9 inch baking dish with crescent roll dough, firmly pressing perforations to seal. Sprinkle with chopped ham or browned sausage.
- In a medium bowl, combine the large eggs, grated mozzarella cheese, whole milk, minced onion, dried parsley, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir until well blended. Pour egg mixture over sausage.
- Bake 20-24 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve hot with your favorite salsa. You may cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Serves 8.
4 thoughts on “Weekend Brunch Casserole”
This looks so delicious and I am sooo hungry. I'm adding this my breakfast casserole list!
Thanks for stopping by, Terri. We made this casserole for a Mother's Day Brunch at church this weekend. It's so good. Enjoy!
This is a such a great recipe for a family breakfast or brunch, and it keeps really well throughout the week if you’re just making it for yourself, we will get breakfast for almost a whole week!
One of my favorite recipes from our 4-H Cooking Meetings!