Mixed Berry Scones
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We love Mixed Berry Scones! What’s not to love? Moist, tender crumb with sweet berries. Blackberries. Blueberries. Raspberries.
(Recipe modified with new photos on 4/25/22.)
Actually, I’m not sure I’ve ever eaten a scone I didn’t love. Whether they’re sweet, savory, or plain. And let me tell you…a plain scone is not a bad thing! Add on some clotted cream, jelly and/or lemon curd, plus your favorite tea, and you can have a little tea party with yourself . . . or a loved one, or two or three. Ha, ha. Who doesn’t love a good tea party? See my Scone Recipes Here.
Ingredients to Make Mixed Berry Scones
- frozen mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- powdered sugar
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- whole milk
- 2 eggs (1 egg and 1 yolk)
- decorating sugar
Notes on Buying Mixed Berries
When buying berries for this recipe, I usually buy a 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed berries that have blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. The strawberries are so much bigger, that I pick those out and save for use later. That leaves just enough berries for this recipe, and they are all about the same size.
Also, I often 1find sales on frozen mixed berries during the summer, so I try to stock my freezer for later use in the year. Who wants to pay $5 for mixed berries later when you can get them for $2.50 now!
Instructions on Making this Recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Prepare the Dough
In a small bowl, toss berries with powdered sugar.
Coating the berries in powdered sugar gives them a touch of extra sweetness and also keeps them from transferring their juices into the dough quite so badly.
In a medium bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
With a blending fork or your fingers, cut in slivers of butter until mixture is crumbly.
I have found that grating cold butter into the flour works really well and saves a bit of time. Simply add the grated butter to the flour mixture and give it a light mixing.
Make a well in the middle of the bowl, and pour in milk and eggs, stirring to mix. Mix into flour mixture until just combined.
Add berries and gently fold in to combine. At this point, your dough will be sticky.
Form the Scones
Turn dough onto floured counter and knead 3-4 times.
Form the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick. With a knife or bench scraper, form scones, by slicing in half, repeating in halves, until you have 8-12 scones.
Decide how big you want the scones and how many you want to serve when slicing the dough. If you’re serving the scones for a brunch, you may want to make bigger scones. If for a tea party, then you may opt for a smaller size.
When slicing these scones, I will use a knife or bench scraper. If you have a large scone pan, you may try using it. I prefer not to with this recipe. I like the rugged edges I get from free-forming them on a pan. Plus, this is a large recipe, so I’m not even sure they would fit in my scone pan.
Place scones on a prepared baking sheet (or two). Top them off with a sprinkling of decorating sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm. This recipe makes 8-12 scones.
These Mixed Berry Scones are best eaten the day you make them. But they will store in a covered container for 2-3 days. Serve with your favorite tea or coffee. May I suggest a fruity tea like Grandma’s Garden or Milady Gray, both from Tealyra Teas.
- 8 oz. frozen mixed berries blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter cold
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons Decorating sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Prepare the Dough
- In a small bowl, toss berries with powdered sugar.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry fork or your fingers, cut in slivers of butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl, and pour in milk and eggs, stirring to mix. Mix into flour mixture until just combined.
- Add berries and gently fold in to combine.
Form the Scones
- Turn dough onto floured counter and knead 3-4 times. Pat into a circle about 1 inch thick. Form scones, by slicing in half, repeating in halves, until you have 8-12 scones.
- Place scones on the prepared baking sheet(s). Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with tea or coffee. Serves 8-12.