This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Breakfast Quiche is perfect for a weekend brunch or for a light supper with a salad.
I love this recipe. It’s simple. And very tasty. It’s elegant and pretty enough for special entertaining, such as a Mother’s Day Brunch, or for Christmas or Easter. Yet it’s easy enough to make when you want a light dinner in the spring or summer.
Ingredients Needed to Make Breakfast Quiche
For the Crust:
- all-purpose flour
- vegetable shortening
For the Filling:
- ground sausage
- large eggs (4 of them)
- half and half cream
- ground nutmeg
- dried parsley
- mozzarella cheese
Instructions for this Recipe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine all-purpose flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Add cold water in two parts, until dough comes away from the bowl.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in pie plate or quiche pan. Transfer to pie plate. Trim and flute edges.
For filling, brown the sausage in a medium skillet. Allow the sausage to cool for a little bit. Sprinkle sausage in the pie crust.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, nutmeg, and parsley. Stir in cheese. Pour egg mixture over the sausage.
On lowest rack, bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Continue baking for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 6-8 servings.
A Few Extra Tips on Baking Quiche
When forming the crust, (which is basically half of my regular pie dough) I like to use a deep pie dish, which holds the filling without coming too close to the brim. A 9-inch quiche or tart pan would also work, if you own one. I don’t, so I just use my big pie dish.
Brown your sausage ahead of time or at the beginning of this process so the sausage has time to cool a bit before being placed on the prepared pastry.
Use Half-and-half rather than whole milk.
Use block or chunk cheese and shred it yourself. It doesn’t take that much extra time to do it yourself, and it tastes so much better.
Bake the quiche on your lowest oven rack. Begin baking at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 375 and finish baking until quiche has set. Test when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
See more Breakfast Recipe Ideas Here.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound ground pork sausage browned and drained
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening with blending fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Add water in two parts, until dough comes away from the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in deep dish pie plate. Transfer to pie plate. Trim and flute edges.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage. Drain off any grease. Spoon sausage inside pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, half and half, parsley salt, and nutmeg. Stir in cheese. Pour into crust over the sausage.
- Bake in preheated oven on lowest rack, for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 6-8 servings.