Easy Macaroni and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
My mom used to make Easy Macaroni and Cheese for me when I was a girl. As a mom, I made it for our girls, and now I make it for our grandchildren.
It’s quite easy and tastes better than the Kraft kind that comes in a box. At least, I think so. It’s thick and creamy and a great side to serve with your favorite sandwich or burger. I also think it goes really well with Fried Fish.
(Post modified with new photos on 7/16/22.)
Ingredients for Easy Macaroni and Cheese
See full recipe in its entirety at the bottom of this post.
- raw elbow macaroni (or small shells works well, too)
- kosher salt
- whole milk
- processed cheese loaf (like Velveeta)
- cheddar cheese
- smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
A Few Notes about the Ingredients
When my mom made this dish, she used only Velveeta. As the years have gone by, I’ve added shredded cheddar cheese to the dish, and also a little smoked paprika. I really love the flavoring that this spice gives to dishes, especially a cheese dish.
You could also use small shells instead of macaroni. And always use real butter and whole milk for the most creamy, rich texture and taste.
Instructions for This Recipes
Begin by gathering all your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Slice the processed cheese into small cubes. Using a box grater, shred the cheddar cheese.
Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil over medium high heat. Add kosher salt and the raw macaroni. Reduce heat to medium low and continue boiling according to package directions, about 9-11 minutes until tender. Drain the macaroni in a colander.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add one cup of the whole milk, processed cheese cubes, and grated cheddar cheese. Cook on low until the cheese has melted, stirring occasionally.
You do not need to stir the cheese constantly, but you will want to keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Stir every 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Once the cheese has fully melted, add in the drained macaroni and mix well with a long-handled spoon or spurtle. Add an extra 1/2 cup of whole milk if you desire a creamier sauce.
Season with smoked paprika and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve warm with your favorite sandwich, burger or main dish. The recipe will make enough for 4-6 people.
Easy Macaroni and Cheese is a perfect dish to make with your kids and for your kids! Happy Cooking!
Easy Macaroni and Cheese
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Ingredients
- Slice the processed cheese into small cubes.Using a box grater, shred the cheddar cheese.
Make the Mac and Cheese
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil on medium-high heat. Add salt and the raw macaroni. Boil according to package directions, for about 9-11 minutes until tender. Drain the macaroni in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add one cup of the whole milk, prepared cheese cubes, and shredded cheddar cheese. Cook on low until the cheese has melted, stirring occasionally. (You do not need to stir the cheese constantly, but you will need to keep an eye on it and stir every 1-2 minutes.)
- Once the cheese has completely melted, add in the drained macaroni and mix well with a long-handled spoon or spurtle. If desired, you may add an additional 1/2 cup of whole milk if you prefer a creamier sauce.
- Season with smoked paprika and freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm. Serves 4-6.