Easy Corn Dip
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, and a King Arthur Baking affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Easy Corn Dip is a delicious recipe introduced to me by a good friend years ago. It’s especially yummy with lime-flavored corn chips.
(Post modified on 9/6/23.)
Made with common ingredients that most people have in their pantry and refrigerator, you’ll want to be sure to pick up a few cans of Mexicorn and green chiles when you’re shopping, especially when they are on sale at the store.
This recipe is so easy to make and great for a last-minute appetizer or snack when friends or family stop by to visit. If that happens, grab some corn tortilla chips and the ingredients below.
More Appetizer Dips to Enjoy
Ingredients to Make Easy Corn Dip
(See the full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
- Mexicorn (two cans)
- canned green chilies
- sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- minced onion or dried minced onion
- sour cream
Simple Directions for this Recipe
Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare Your Ingredients
Drain the Mexicorn and green chilies.
I sometimes have a hard time finding Mexicorn. When that happens, I simply substitute regular canned corn (the vacuumed kind works best as it has less juice). Be sure to drain any juice in the corn, no matter which kind you use. To this I’ll also add 1/3 cup diced red pepper to the ingredients.
Grate the cheddar cheese.
When it comes to the cheese, I always suggest using block cheese and grate it yourself. I know the shredded kind is handy for last minute, but the block cheese tastes better. Trust me on this.
Using a sharp knife and cutting board, mince the onion.
I’ve used both dried onion and fresh minced onion. I like either one. However, if you use the dried onion, you will want to let it refrigerate for one hour prior to serving. (Otherwise, you may sneak the dip from the fridge sooner, because I know you’re eager to have some!)
In a medium bowl, mix together the Mexicorn, green chilies, grated cheddar cheese, minced onion, mayonnaise, and sour cream until incorporated.
If desired, you may substitute cottage cheese in place of the sour cream, but real mayo works best in this recipe.
Transfer the dip to a pretty serving bowl. If desired, sprinkle the top with more cheddar cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
This recipe works great for summer picnics or barbecues. Our family loves it. It’s very addicting!
Try serving this dip with Tostitos Hint of Lime Corn Chips, On the Border Corn Tortilla Chips, or Fritos Corn Chips. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!
Easy Corn Dip
- 15 oz Mexicorn or Southwest Corn drained
- 4 oz chopped green chili's drained
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated, divided
- 1/4 cup minced onion or 2 1/2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Prepare the Ingredients
- Drain the MexiCorn (or Southwest Corn) and chopped green chilies.
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Using a sharp knife, mince the onion.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and if desired, top with remaining grated cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve with your favorite corn chips. Serves 4-6