This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My grandma had apple trees in her yard and always made applesauce from her autumn harvest. Cinnamon Applesauce.
She gave me a sackful of apples when I was in college, my first summer away from home. The dormitory had closed for the summer so I had rented an apartment with another girl and had my very own kitchen. Small, but it had a refrigerator and a stove.
What did I do with all those apples? I made a pie. And applesauce. My grandma’s recipe.
My Grandma’s Recipe
Her apples were green. My mom never knew which variety. Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, or something else. But they were tart, and they made great applesauce.
From time to time, I still get a sack of apples in the fall–now from my folks who have apple trees on their land. My dad loves to make apple cider, so this only happens when my mom steals a few from his stash. And then I’ll make a homemade apple pie. Or applesauce. My grandma’s recipe.
This recipe makes 6 cups, so I’ll usually pour some in plastic containers and store them in the freezer. We enjoy eating it fresh, but I also like using it in recipes. Like my Chocolate Applesauce Cake (also my grandma’s recipe).
Our youngest daughter loves homemade applesauce. It always made her especially happy to come home from school and smell it simmering on the stove. She’s married now and has her own place in the country. I look forward to the day when I can take her a sackful of my dad’s apples. So she can make a homemade apple pie. Or Cinnamon Applesauce. My grandma’s recipe.
- 4 pounds cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced (12 cups)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups water
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- Using a pairing knife, peel, slice and core apples. You may also opt to use an apple corer to save time.
- In large saucepan, combine apples, water, cinnamon and sugar. Cook until apples are soft, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Use a potato masher to finish off any large pieces. I like my applesauce chunky.
- From here, you may can or freeze as you desire. Makes 6 cups.