Weeknight Mexican Cornbread
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Weeknight Mexican Cornbread is a recipe my mom made for our family when we were growing up. It comes from my Uncle Steve and Aunt Sheryl. It’s quite delicious and easy to prepare, so it’s great for a weeknight meal for your family.
The creamed corn adds sweetness to the cornbread, and the green chilies give the dish a little heat. Combine it all with hamburger and cheddar cheese, and it’s a yummy meal.
Ingredients Needed to Make Weeknight Mexican Cornbread
- lean hamburger
- sweet onion
- chopped green chilies (2 cans)
- baking soda
- whole milk
- creamed corn
- large eggs
- vegetable oil
- cheddar cheese
Instructions for Making this Dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a knife and cutting board, chop the onion and grate the cheese. If possible, I always encourage folks to buy block cheese instead of the shredded kind. It just tastes and cooks better.
In a large skillet, brown the hamburger. Add the onion and green chilies. Cook until tender.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Make a hole in the center and add in the milk, creamed corn, eggs, and oil. Mix the eggs with a fork, and then mix it all together until well blended.
Pour half of the cornmeal batter into a greased 9 x 13″ baking pan. Cover this with meat. Sprinkle with cheese. Finish by pouring the remaining cornmeal batter over meat and cheese.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and your favorite salsa. Of course, I like to ramp mine up with splashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce, but that’s just me. This recipe will serve 6-8 people.
Weeknight Mexican Cornbread
- 1 pound lean hamburger 80/20
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 4 oz chopped green chili's
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- 15 oz creamed corn
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop the onion and grate the cheese.
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger. Add onion and green chili's and cook until tender. Season with chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, soda, milk, creamed corn, eggs, and oil.
- To assemble the dish, pour half of the cornmeal batter into a greased 9 x 13" baking pan. Cover with the meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour remaining cornmeal batter over meat and cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and salsa. Serves 6-8.
PIN THIS TO A FAVORITE BOARD