Simple Hamburger Stroganoff
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Simple Hamburger Stroganoff is quick and easy for when you don’t feel like doing much in the kitchen. Perfect for weeknight dinners. This cooks up in 30 minutes, from stove to table.
(Post modified with new photos on 6/6/22.)
It reminds me of the easy Stove Top dinners that come in a box. Only so much better. And really, it’s just as easy. I always try to keep a few canned creamed soups in my pantry as well as dried egg noodles, for such a time as this–ie: when I don’t feel like cooking.
Ingredients Needed to Make Simple Hamburger Stroganoff
See full recipe in it’s entirety at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground burger
- sweet onion
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cream of mushroom soup
- dried egg noodles
- cream cheese
- sour cream
Instructions for Making this Recipe
Gather your ingredients so that you have everything close at hand on the counter or table.
Mince the onion using a chef’s knife and cutting board.
If desired, you may use instead 2 tablespoons dried minced onion.
In a large skillet, brown hamburger. I like to use a lean burger with at least 80/20. Once the meat has browned, stir in the prepared minced onion, garlic powder, onion salt, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Add cream of mushroom soup and mix well. Stir in egg noodles and add water as needed, 1 can at a time. You want the water to just barely cover the noodles. As it cooks, the water will turn into a nice, lovely gravy.
I like to use Amish Homestyle Egg Noodles for this recipe. They are the next-to-best thing to making your own. Choose medium to wide.
Cover and cook on low heat until noodles are tender, approximately 8-12 minutes (depending on what noodles you use). Add more water as needed, up to one more soup can. Stir frequently to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Right before serving, add in the cream cheese and sour cream. Stir until smooth and creamy.
This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
This Recipe Pleases All Ages–Young and Old
Our grandchildren love this dish, just as much or more than our children did when they were young. So, this recipe pleases all ages, from young to old.
I like to serve Hamburger Stroganoff with Refrigerator Mashed Potatoes and green beans.
See more Main Dish Recipes Here.
Simple Hamburger Stroganoff
- In large skillet, brown hamburger. (If necessary, drain off excess grease.) Once the burger has browned, stir in minced onion, garlic powder, onion salt, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and mix well. Stir in egg noodles and add one soup can of water to begin. I like to just barely cover the noodles in water, stirring to combine. As this cooks, the water will turn into a yummy gravy.
- Cook on low heat until noodles are tender, approximately 12-18 minutes. Add more water as needed, up to another soup can.
- When ready to serve, add cream cheese and sour cream. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- If desired, serve over mashed potatoes. Serves 4-6.