This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My grandma was a wonderful cook, and Grandma’s Coleslaw was always a favorite at our family gatherings. It still is. Grandma dubbed this recipe as the coleslaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Some of my most cherished moments growing up were visiting my Grandma Swiler. We did many things together–playing restaurant and having tea parties, hanging clothes on the line, garage sale shopping, and helping her with her garden.
One of our favorite activities, however, was to pour through her collection of recipes to decide what to make for supper or for breakfast the next morning.
She had LOTS of recipes. Grandma lived to be 94, so she had a lifetime of cookbooks on her shelves, and hundreds of newspaper cutouts of recipes she thought looked interesting. Amazingly, she almost always knew where to find a particular recipe that we were searching for. And in the unlikely event that she couldn’t remember, she had created a special Recipe Index that listed where her favorite recipes were located–in what cookbook, file box, drawer, or cabinet!
So yes, folks, I got my love for recipes honest.
Ingredients Needed to Make Grandma’s Coleslaw
- medium cabbage
- large carrot
- whipped salad dressing (like Miracle Whip)
- apple cider vinegar
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- dried minced onion
- celery seed
Instructions for Making This Recipe
In food processor, shred cabbage and carrots then place in medium bowl.
You may also use a box grater to shred the vegetables. Your choice.
In a glass measuring cup, stir together the salad dressing, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, dried minced onion, and celery seed. Whisk together until well blended. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
Transfer the slaw to a pretty serving bowl and cover. It’s best to let it refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or even overnight to let the oil and vinegar seep into the slaw. This recipe will serve 8-10 people.
- 4-6 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 large carrot peeled and shredded
- 1 cup whipped salad dressing like Miracle Whip
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In food processor, shred cabbage and carrots then place in medium bowl.
- In a glass measuring cup, stir together salad dressing, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, minced onion, and celery seed. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serves 8-10