Cajun Shrimp is a great addition to any barbecue. We love shrimp at our house. This recipe is sure to please any shrimp-lovers out there.
On Buying Shrimp
When buying shrimp, select the raw type over precooked. It doesn’t take long for shrimp to cook, and the raw kind tastes better and is less expensive. Plus, as they cook they turn pink, so that also helps to know when they are done.
If possible, purchase shrimp that have already been deveined. It will save you time and trouble if you don’t have to complete this step. Oh, and I like to buy Wild Caught Argentina Red Shrimp from Sea Best. They come in 2 pound packages and are jumbo size. My grocer has them on sale for $14 at least four times a year, so I like to stock up when they are on sale. And they taste great. My entire family gives them 5 stars!
Ingredients Needed to Make Cajun Shrimp
- Frozen jumbo shrimp, thawed
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cajun Spice Mix – (See my Recipe Here)
Instructions for Making This Recipe
Gather your ingredients so that you have everything you need close at hand on the counter or table. Prepare the charcoal for grill. While it is heating, prepare the shrimp.
Place 4-6 thawed shrimp on each skewer and set on a baking sheet. Brush shrimp with olive oil. Generously sprinkle both sides with Cajun Spice Mix.
Making your own spice mix is very easy and only involves 9 common ingredients. Brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. See my recipe for Cajun Spice Mix Here.
If desired, prepare the spice mix ahead of time. Use what you need, then store the rest in a container for another use. Or, if you’d prefer not to make your own, feel free to use your favorite store-bought spice.
Place the seasoned shrimp on a hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning at least once until they turn pink. Remove from grill and serve warm. Serves 4-6.
Serve Cajun Shrimp with Grandma’s Coleslaw and Fried Okra.
See more Shrimp Recipes Here and other ways to use Cajun Spice Here.
Wine Suggestion: Fancy Pants Pinot Grigio
- 16 oz Frozen jumbo shrimp thawed
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Spice Mix See Recipe Here
- Prepare charcoal for grill. While it is heating, prepare shrimp.
- Place 4-6 thawed shrimp on each skewer and set on a baking sheet. Brush shrimp with olive oil. Generously sprinkle both sides with Cajun Spice Mix.
- Place on hot grill and heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning at least once until they turn pink. Remove from grill and serve warm. Serves 4-6.