Indian Tacos with Fry Bread
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We once ate Indian Tacos with Fry Bread in Northeast Oklahoma at the Woolaroc Museum. They were delicious. So, of course, I had to try making my own.
If you’ve never been to the Woolaroc Museum, I highly recommend it. They have an amazing collection of Native American and Western art and artifacts, along with a wildlife preserve. Plan to spend the entire day.
NOW BACK TO THE RECIPE:
You may eat Fry Bread as a dessert with honey or powdered sugar. Or both! Or serve as the base of an Indian Taco. Both are equally delicious!
Indian Fry Bread is Easy to Make
You don’t even need a mixer for this. Just stir the ingredients in a bowl with a fork or your hands.
On a floured surface, pat the dough into a circle that is about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick. And then cut into circles or triangles. When I made them, I used a small stainless bowl that was about 6-inches wide, which worked perfectly. You could also use a knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough into triangles.
Or you could pinch off pieces of the dough and roll or pat them out to the desired thickness. It’s your choice.
Fry the dough in about an inch of hot oil until both sides are nicely browned. I used a cast iron skillet.
If you’re making Indian Tacos, fry the dough first and let them drain on a pan lined with paper towels. Place the pan in a warm oven until you’re ready to serve.
The main difference from my regular taco meat and this recipe is that the meat mixture cooks for 30-40 minutes in water until the water has almost cooked out. So, it is a bit saucier than my taco meat. Otherwise, the ingredients are very much the same.
Hamburger. Beans. Tomato Paste. Minced Onion.
Ground Cumin. Chili Powder. Garlic Power. Onion Powder.
When ready to serve Indian Tacos with Fry Bread, place meat mixture on the soft, fried bread. Then layer your toppings. Shredded Lettuce. Cheddar Cheese. Salsa.
You could also add diced tomatoes and sour cream, if you want.
See more Mexican Cuisine Here.
Indian Tacos with Fry Bread
Indian Fry Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Peanut Oil for frying
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
To Make the Fry Bread:
- In a medium bowl with a blending fork, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk with shortening until shortening starts to melt. Add milk to flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
- Place dough on a floured surface and pat into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 6 inch circles or triangles.
- Fry dough in 1" of hot oil (in a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet) turning to brown on both sides. Drain on a pan lined with paper towels. Place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
To Make the Indian Tacos:
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger. Add beans, tomato paste, onion, and seasonings. Add water and cook on medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes until water has cooked out.
- Serve meat mixture on top of fry bread with shredded lettuce, cheese and hot sauce. Serves 4-6.
PIN TO A FAVORITE BOARD!